Quinoa Parsnip Maple Cookies

2 plates

I have a few complaints to which I'd like to give a platform:

1. It's getting warmer (which is nothing but good), however that causes my dog to shed everywhere. And worse of all, she sheds on the low coffee table that I use for pictures. I have to clean it each and every time I want to put anything on top. It's getting old.

2. All winter I was missing my favorite pair of ultra-warm boots. Brown suede with cream flowers stitched up the sides. I love those boots. And I just found them yesterday. Which is good, except they may as well go back into hibernation because it won't be cold enough for them for another ten months. People conceive and have children in less time.

3. I have too many books. Not for my own good, mind you, but for my bookshelves. They are all breaking, seriously, all of them, because the books are piling up. I need a larger apartment. I'd sooner give away the couch than get rid of books.

2010-03-25

But, one thing I won't complain about is Quinoa Parsnip Maple Cookies. Because these things are good. And, for a cookie, relatively healthy. Rolled oats, quinoa, parsnip, for goodness sake. I was introduced to this recipe by Sarah, of Simply Cooked, who originally found them on A Crafty Lass (and who doesn't want a Crafty Lass in their life?), written by Erin. Actually, Erin invented these little gems, so she gets double props for that. But Sarah played around with them, and I picked and chose from both of their adaptations.

2010-03-251

I agree with Erin when she bemoans the underrating of the parsnip. Not quite a carrot, definitely not as colorful, they're often overlooked. Actually, speaking of carrots, you could certainly use those in place of the parsnip if you happen to have them on hand, or if you have a strong preference. And with a generous drizzle of maple glaze, these cakey little cookies are pretty darn delicious.

2 plates 2

Quinoa, Parsnip and Maple Cookies
Adapted from Erin's recipe, and Sarah's version as well

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup ap flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cooked quinoa (start with 1/3 cup dried and cook it in twice as much water)
1 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup grated peeled parsnip, depending on the size of your parsnips, this might be half a very large one, or one kind of more normal sized one.

Oven preheated to 375 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Then beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure that they are well combined before adding the next. Then beat in the vanilla.

In another bowl, mix together the flours, quinoa, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice. The buttermilk should be ready. Set your mixer on low, and beat in 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then half the buttermilk. Next add in another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and the last of the buttermilk before adding in the last of the dry mixture. Fold in the parsnips with a spatula.

Drop the cookie dough in tablespoon-sized mounds on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until golden around the edges. Transfer to a cooling wrack and let cool completely.

For the Maple Glaze

While the cookies are baking, whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar with 1/4 cup real maple syrup until smooth. When the cookies are completely cool, drizzle the maple glaze over the top. Allow the glaze to set before storing or serving.

Comments

I agree that parsnips are underrated, but the thing is, the ones I get often have a tough core. When I'm feeling lazy I just use carrots because that reduces the prep time. Am I just getting crappy parsnips??
Nikki Thornton said…
Liked your post. Someday I hope to write a book where the royalties will pay for the copies I give away.
:-)
Nikki
JuLo said…
Oh my...these sound amazing! Yum! Must...make...as soon as possible!
Jenné said…
These look so scrumptious! I love the use of Quinoa and Oats. I think when I make these I'll use Carrots for color!
Valen said…
These look delicious! I love anything maple.
MichaM said…
I was just thinking yesterday how I should try making some cookies with quinoa in them (either whole or flour)....these are going on my list :)
Wow .....good recipes..a water in coming in my mouth amazing.Good work.
Sarah said…
I'm glad you liked them. Healthy cookies get my seal of approval any time! Yum.

Popular Posts